It's great that you are taking part in The Mongol Rally. The Visa Machine is here to help you deal with the most bureaucratic and boring part of the trip planning.
Check the visa packs to see which visas you will need for the route you are taking and once you decide to go ahead and use our help in obtaining your visas, don't forget to use the discount code MR2019 to get 15% off our service fees.
If you're looking to enter Russia more than twice, one option is to apply for a transit visa in Mongolia - in Darkhan, Erdenet or Ulaan Baatar. We asked the Consulate there for a bit of info, and here's what they came back with:
To apply for a transit visa you need the following documents:
- Passport with a blank double-page spread, valid at least for 6 month after the date of expiry of the visa.
- Duly filled-in application form with 3x4 sm.-sized photo.
Since June 01, 2014 the consular section of the Embassy, the Consulate General in Darkhan and Erdenet will only accept electronic visa application forms. In this regard, each person applying for a visa to the Russian Federation needs to fill in (in Russian or English) and print a visa application using the special website of the Consular Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation http://visa.kdmid.ru.
- Valid visa (if one is needed) to enter the next state, after the foreign citizen exits Russia.
- Tickets for the whole trip (originals, printed e-tickets or printed reservation) or documents for own car.
- A foreign citizen should plan their trip considering, that he/she can only make one stop to change his/her transport, and his/her stop at the point of transit can not exceed 2 nights. For example, if one goes from Ulaanbaatar to London, he/she can use the following route: Ulaanbaatar to Ulan-Ude by train (09-10th of March), then 2 nights in Ulan-Ude (10-12th of March), then a flight from Ulan-Ude to Moscow (on the 12th of March), then a flight from Moscow to London (in the same day - on the 12th of March). One can not, for example, go to Irkutsk, spend some days there, then go to Moscow, spend a day there and then take a flight back home.
- The duration of his/her stay in Russia depends on the tickets provided, but can not exceed 10 days (by car 1 day - 500 km).
- Transit visa is issued for the purpose of transit - travel from one country to another country via Russia by the shortest possible route.
- The price of a regular single visa is 70 US $ (will be ready in 4 working days) or 140 US $ (3 working days).
Not answered your question? Give us a shout.